This post is all about how to adult, things to always have on hand. Whether you're a fresh out of college student unsure of what to stock your new pad with, or a new homeowner and everything feel so overwhelming. Also, if you’re just bad at being an adult and have just kind of been winging it through life. I’m here to help! Here is a list of basic things you and your guests (if you have anyone staying with you or even just visiting your house for a few hours) might need. These are the things that you should have on hand at the very LEAST. This is by NO MEANS an exhaustive list, but these are some of the basic things I have seen lacking in my or friend's home when most needed.
- glass and/or plastic containers with lids, mixing bowls, coffee pot/french press, coffee filters, wax/parchment paper, aluminum foil, ziploc bags
- Dishes: at least 6 of everything, silverware, cups, mugs, plates, bowls. This is the one I struggle with the most! It’s like we always have enough for us, but heaven forbid anyone else come over because inevitably our dishwasher will be full of dirty dishes and we will have zero utensils available. That’s why I always try to keep a plastic set on hand.
- milk/creamer, butter, mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, bbq sauce, eggs, canola spray, fruits & veggies
- frozen veggies & waffles, frozen pizzas (2)
- coffee/tea, sugar, salt, pepper, bread, crackers, broth, proteins (chicken, beef and/or beans), oatmeal, syrup, canned soups, peanut butter & jelly, protein bars
(this guarantees that you and your guests always have SOMETHING on hand - even if you’re at the end of your grocery stash).
- sponges, dish detergent, scrubby brush, dish soap, paper towels, trash bags
- vicks vaporub, cough drops, benadryl, headache meds, tylenol, advil, aspirin, pepto bismol, cough syrup, dayquil/nyquil
- shampoo & conditioner, body wash, bath towels, washcloths, hand towels, soap (for every sink), toilet paper (and extras), bathroom mat, shower curtain, shower liner
- tweezers, nail clippers, nail file, nail polish remover, hair ties, cotton balls
First Aid Kit
- bandaids, gauze, antiseptic, cortisone cream, antibiotic ointment, tape, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol (and alcohol wipes), scissors, gloves, and q-tips
- window/glass cleaner, wood cleaner, Clorox wipes, Lysol spray, Comet, 409, Swiffer (for fast clean up), mop, bucket, broom and dustpan, vacuum, laundry detergent, bleach, dryer sheets (double as a static reducer!) (get this stuff at Walmart or Target- they have the best value there and you can get all this stuff in one place. AND all these places offer great online shipping deals!)
- hammer, screw drivers (philips & flat head), tape measure, duct tape, drill (with bits), pliers, nails, screws, level, wrench, batteries (aaa, aa, D), extra light bulbs, candles, matches, flashlight (with working batteries).
Guests (spending the night)
- one set of towels & wash cloth for every person staying over
- two blankets, sheets (each bed), two pillows (per bed)
Like I said, this is in NO way an exhaustive list of the things you’d need to fully stock your apartment/home. It’s intention is to just get you started and have the basics. A lot of this is just what I’ve found myself needing and I wish I had on hand. So make sure you get these items in bulk, because you will use them! Leave a comment below if you think I’ve missed anything important, would love to hear from you! <3 Amanda