Advice for Moms (new and experienced)
As a first-time mom, it can be scary figuring out what to do and how to approach motherhood. Even as a seasoned mom, or going into another pregnancy, you can be unsure of what to expect and how to juggle multiples. Here is some advice from friends, grandmothers, first time moms and experienced moms. Some of these are humorous and some are words of wisdom. But regardless, hopefully this advice will help calm your fears about motherhood a little bit and and encourage you in this next phase of life!
Advice for a New Mommy
- Cherish your nursing time with minimal distractions to unite the bond between mother and child. The time I spent with each of my boys while nursing to reflect was the most special.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself, you're new at this!
- Learn to eat your food at room temperature.
- Don’t worry about trying to do too much. Spend time bonding with and enjoying your baby. Don’t worry about stuff that really doesn’t matter. Be present!
- Pick one thing to focus on doing every day that will give you a sense of accomplishment. (For me it was just making the bed every day.)
- Choose your battles. Somethings are just not worth arguing over and won’t matter in the big picture.
- Take everything one day at a time.
- Sleep when baby sleeps and don’t worry about dishes or cleaning. Just rest as much as possible.
- Remember everything will be OK and don’t be embarrassed to cry a lot because you’re so happy and blessed.
- Don’t rush the milestones. Live in every moment. Give love, love and more love!
- Just enjoy as much as you can. It’s going to be hard, but don’t worry, it will get better!
- Let the housework go! You just may end up spending all your time helping your little one mess it up anyways.
- Give yourself lots of grace! Gods equipped you for this. Protect your date nights and put together a list of potential babysitters.
- Enjoy every moment! Time goes by so fast! Remember, even during the late nights and lost sleep how worth it, it is! You’re the hero in their eyes and there’s no one else that compares.
- Put your relationship with God first, your husband second and babies after. You are going to be an awesome mom!
Advice for a Second Child/Pregnancy
- Try not to stress out when things don’t go as planned.
- Remember, you are a great mom! Even when things get tough and you feel defeated, you are amazing! Also, your worth is in more than just being a mom, you are a daughter of the King!
- Encourage your first to be as independent as possible now, before your second is born. They are more capable than you think, and it will save you time and stress when you’re taking care of your newborn.
- A nanny and housekeeper help!
- Think ahead and save, to help them out financially in college so they can focus on studying and building their future.
- Unconditional love is all that really matters.
- Don’t worry about housework and chores too much. It’s not the end of the world if the dishes and laundry have to wait a week.
- Enjoy all the sweet cuddle time while you can. All too soon they will not want to hold your hand.
It’s pretty obvious to see some recurring themes in these words of wisdom for moms. We should be focusing on our children more and chores less. It’s so hard to live in the moment and focus on your kids when things seem to be piling up and overwhelming. But it’s so true that they grow up too fast, and in the long run, nothing else matters but unconditional love and family time.
What are some of your tips for new moms or moms expecting their second child? Would love for you to leave a comment below!